Thursday, February 10, 2011

How I get the kids ready to return to school.

Guest post written by my buddy Royce Heath

Winter break for my kids is a time when I try to let them have a mini vacation at home. Getting them ready to head back to school can be a chore but I have mastered this over the years. The first thing to do is to wean them off the sugar. I do this by gradually decreasing the times during the day when they can have candy, cookies, etc. Mealtimes become centered on healthy food and beverages.

During the last week of their winter break I begin to incorporate their old routine back into their lives. Bedtimes become stricter, less electronic time and more reading and academics. This I accomplish by bribing my 12 year old to read to his two younger siblings. Gradually, old habits are again picked up and life returns to a more normal pace. My goal is to reward positive behavior by setting firm ground rules and reminders that school is fast approaching.

Once they are back in school, I set my home alarm system from www.InHomeSecurity.com and begin my winter break begins.

0 comments: